Welcome to the Photochemistry @UC 🧪🔬
Our lab, equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and an inspiring workspace, is where we explore the intersection of light and matter, turning simple compounds into world-changing discoveries.
Sergio Seixas de Melo is the scientific leader of the Photochemistry Group at the University of Coimbra (UC).
Since 1989, when Antonio Maçanita introduced him to the field of photochemistry, Sergio has gained extensive experience in steady-state and time-resolved techniques applied to various domains in photophysics. These domains include polymer dynamics, luminescent conjugated polymers, proton- and electron- transfer reactions, Chemical & Art, redox flow batteries, etc.
The research interests of the Photochemistry Group @UC encompass a wide range of topics, primarily focused on the study of excited states.
The laboratories feature state-of-the-art equipment equipment for conducting fast kinetic research studies, including:
- fs-ns transient absorption (fs-TA and ns-TA), ps- and ns-TCSPC (time-resolved fluorescence), and fs-fluorescence Upconversion (fs-UC).
- Spectrofluorometers, spectrophotometers, and related instruments.
- Autolab and a Glove box.
- Incident Photon to Charge Carrier Efficiency (IPCE), Integrating Sphere (Quantaurus) for determining absolute luminescence quantum yields, Hamamatsu IR detector (for singlet oxygen yield determinations), Cryostats, and more.
- General equipment for organic synthesis.
We maintain strong collaborations with other research groups in Portugal and abroad, including:
- Marta Pineiro, Alberto Pais , Teresa Pinho e Melo, Dina Murtinho & Artur Valente (UC)
- Martyn Pillinger, & Isabel S. Gonçalves (UA-CICECO)
- Adelino Galvão (IST-UL)
- Manuela Raposo (U. Minho)
- Laura Rodriguez (U. Barcelona)
- Ullich Scherf (U. Wuppertal, Germany)
- Aldo Romani and Catia Clementi (University of Perugia)
Explore our research endeavors in more detail by visiting our website. There, you can access comprehensive information about our ongoing projects, the state-of-the-art equipment we utilize, and the exciting discoveries our group has made in the field of photochemistry.
We believe that science knows no boundaries, and we are excited to share our passion for chemistry with you!
Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or if you would like to collaborate.
Thank you for visiting the Photochemistry Group @UC website. We look forward to sharing our scientific discoveries with you!